SPECIAL SESSION SPECIAL EDITION:
Let’s Show Up For Our Students!
SPECIAL SESSION STARTS 9/7/21 at 10 AM in Frankfort
RALLY AT VAN HOOSE 9/8/21 at 4:45!
10 STEPS TO #ShowUpForOurStudents #WeJustWannaBeSafe
THIS PAGE IS A WORK IN PROGRESS. PLEASE CHECK BACK OFTEN.
- Educational decisions should be left to local leaders and education professionals, not one-size-fits-all solutions that may work in some districts but put other children in harm’s way. HB208 tied district leaders’ hands. We need options!
- 8/10 regions in Kentucky are either at full ICU capacity or close to it. This has so many implications beyond covid. What happens to the rest of us, especially our children, if there is no space left in the hospitals?
- If lawmakers are going to FORCE our children into unsafe conditions, as they did when they stripped the Governor’s powers and “fixed” the problem they created by passing HB208, then you must FORCE everyone to follow basic safety protocols, such as mask and vaccine mandates.
- Many of our schools are just not safe to operate at full capacity, in fact we’ve been telling you they were unsafe BEFORE COVID. Lawmakers are using our students as pawns in pursuing their political agenda. Don’t mess with our children!
- Children are irreplaceable; legislators are not. Lawmakers who continue to vote against our children will be voted out next November.
DAILY COORDINATED ACTIONS:
Get caught up with where we are and get your tools in place:
- listen to our most recent podcast featuring KY House Rep, JCPS educator, and HB208 co-sponsor Tina Bojanowski and KY Live and Learn Founders Mel and Rose, as we discuss the plans for the special session;
- hear from Joy Reid of MSNBC, the who and why behind all of these attacks
- locate, call and email ALL legislators,
- Sign the petition and notify your lawmakers
- organize carpools, watch parties, keep your kids home to watch online and treat it like a field trip, you name it!
Tuesday – Friday
- show up in Frankfort. Masks and social distancing required. Indoor and outdoor options are available.
- wear black or turquoise. The “patriots” are wearing red, and we don’t want to be confused with them.
- Can’t make it to Frankfort? EVERY DAY, call, email, watch online, use the tools below
- tune in to follow committee meetings & schedule your own watch parties and talk back sessions in your district
- Tweet the legislators (handles can be found here)
- Check back here for each day updates, talking points and hashtags for the day
- Use #ShowUpForStudents #WeJustWannaBeSafe #KYSickout21 #MakeItMakeSense
Call Daily. Leave a message for ALL of them, not just yours, since their votes impact all districts, not just theirs.
Use the tools on the Save Our Schools KY website to email ALL KY Legislators in just 3 clicks. Be sure to copy SOSKY at moderator@SaveOurSchoolsKY.org so your important message can be visible to all.
Send Text or iMessage using Resistbot
What groups do you belong to that have public school parents in them? YMCA? Church? PTA? SBDM? Grab that directory and start making phone calls. Organize a caravan, set up a meeting time and place, communicate your plan of action. Can’t make it in person? Plan a calling party, twitter storm, email blast, zoom town halls. Talk to your student about organizing something for their class or school to participate in.
Notify us at moderator@SaveOurSchoolsKY.org if you would like help planning your activity or would like it posted publicly on our website. Identify people from your group who are prepared with talking points and can speak to the media about your concerns and reasons for mobilizing.
(DAYS OF SESSION)
Whether you keep your kids home to watch the historical special session online or bring them to Frankfort, you can request an educational enhancement opportunity so they won’t be counted absent. https://www.jefferson.kyschools.us/sites/default/files/forms/Educational%20Enhancement%20Opportunity%20Request.pdf
KEEP YOUR KIDS HOME – WATCH ONLINE
Schools are not safe to be open at full capacity right now. We are encouraging parents and guardians who have the means to keep their kids home to do so to reduce the overcrowding until the laws change. Kentucky is at the epicenter of the anti-mask, anti-vaccine, anti-science and anti-history movement, and the world will be watching this historical special session.
The special session can be viewed on KET here:
SHOW UP IN FRANKFORT 9/7/21 at 10 am – UNTIL ???
(Lawmakers are being told to expect the special session to last 3-5 days.)
WEAR BLACK OR TURQUOISE, BRING POSTERS for outside protests.
Call ahead and put your lawmakers on notice that you will be there. Make arrangements to visit with them in person, either before or after they are in chambers, to discuss your specific concerns and the importance of keeping ALL children safe during this pandemic.
Our presence every day during this legislative session is IMPERATIVE. We ask that anyone who has the ability to be there, please show up at 10 am on Tuesday! Even if you have to leave at noon to get back home in time for the car rider line, your presence matters.
Whether you need help with childcare, meals, transportation, homeschooling, tutoring, or something we haven’t mentioned, be sure to vocalize your needs. Join the “KY Live and Learn” Facebook group, which is sponsored by JCPS parents, or start one in your district. You can also follow the “KY Sickout” Facebook page for updates.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK
More talking points, lesson plans, links to resources and insight as to how we got here and where we are going, can be found at www.dearjcps.com and www.SaveOurSchoolsKY.org.
Join KY Live and Learn on Facebook
(AFTER THE SESSION)
Send emails, call and show up every day until the session is over. And even then, make sure they continue to hear from you. The KY General Assembly begins in January, and there are plenty more dangerous laws in the pipeline.
SIGN ON TO OUR COALITION’S LETTER OF SUPPORT
Link to come.